New Zealand Geographic
Most introduced mammals have had a devastating effect on native wildlife, but one species is bucking the trend. About 80 conservation dogs are deployed around the country, helping to protect vulnerable native species by leaping into action at a single command: Seek!
Read in New Zealand Geographic Issue 149 (Jan/Feb 2018) or online.
North & South
Healing Birds in the 'Burbs
For the past eight years, volunteer wildlife carers Kristina Schutt and Thomas Stracke have looked after penguins in peril.
Read in the July 2018 issue of North & South.
The public can now listen to the calls of the elusive night parrot, presumed extinct until its sensational rediscovery in 2013.
Read online at Australian Geographic.
- Defining Moments – 1841: The New Zealand colony separates from New South Wales Issue 145 (July/Aug 2018)
- A quick guide to Australia's penguins April 26, 2018
- Top 10: Australia's living fossils Issue 143 (Mar/Apr 2018) and online March 7, 2018
- Australian islands may become last strongholds for king penguins February 28, 2018
- Urban birdwatching guide to Adelaide January 9, 2018
- Urban birdwatching guide to Perth October 11, 2017
- Urban birdwatching guide to Canberra September 22, 2017
- Top 10: Australia's thermal springs Issue 139 (July/Aug 2017) and online August 31, 2017
- Urban birdwatching guide to Brisbane August 24, 2017
- 'Probable' night parrot discovery in the Northern Territory May 25, 2017
- A saltwater crocodile named Sweetheart Issue 138 (May/June 2017)
- Top 10: Oldest continuously living things in Australia Issue 138 (May/June 2017)
- Surprising origins of Indonesian 'hobbits' revealed April 21, 2017
- Researchers to search for ancient 'extinct' echidna April 4, 2017
- Australian-developed malaria vaccine passes first human trials March 27, 2017
- Music of ancient stars reveals stellar surprise March 13, 2017
- Tiny turtle hatchlings boost conservation effort March 7 2017
- Bodyguards for bandicoots Issue 137 (Mar/Apr 2017)
- Underwater secrets of dolphins revealed February 23, 2017
- Seven Earth-sized planets found orbiting nearby star February 22, 2017
- Urban birdwatchers' guide to Hobart February 15, 2017
- On This Day: Australia switches from pounds to dollars February 14, 2017
- Massive undersea landslide on the Great Barrier Reef revealed February 8, 2017
- Urban birdwatchers' guide to Sydney February 7, 2017
- New aerial images reveal bushfire damage in Tasmanian World Heritage Area one year on January 31, 2017
- On This Day: Winning design for the Sydney Opera House revealed January 24, 2017
- Cannibal copperhead snake caught on camera January 23, 2017
- Queensland leopard shark makes first recorded sexual transition January 17, 2017
- On This Day: Australians first to reach South Magnetic Pole January 16, 2017
- Sea turtle orientation mystery revealed January 16, 2017
- Amazing photos show lace monitor raiding a brush turkey's mound January 12, 2017
WCSJ 2017 Student Newsroom
- Science podcasts: The fun, the challenges and tips from the pros November 10, 2017
- Airplane-sized dinosaurs and other prehistoric oddities November 2, 2017
- Tongariro National Park: Stories from the Land of Fire January 2017 (links to iBooks store, or non-interactive pdf here)
- Mother Tongues Blog March – May 2016